Sunday 8 October 2017

Compilation 02/04 Pt1


Compilation 02/04 Pt1

This is from Jez Hildred. Jez is originally from Lincolnshire, near a place called Cubbit or Cobbit or Curbit or Kermit. He's now in San Francisco and may be a US citizen. 
This is relevant because this means the '02/4' could either be
Feb 2004
or
April 2002
depending on if he was using British or American date format.
I really would not have cared at all about this, and I suspect you might not either, but after 20 years of technical writing this bothers me.

This is exceptionally moody, probably a lot like me at the time. I think his partner Brooke had just staged some sort of intervention to get him away a Grateful Dead cult and he's managed to sneak a good Dead cover on this knowing I can't stand them.

Musically Jez was starting to follow in the slipstream of godspeed you black emperor, and the first track, Comets on Fire, seems like Proto-Goat.
His later compilations, as we will see, are even more 'out there'

'A- Nothing' seems very out place and I'm sure was just included for my benefit

Comets on Fire - Beneath The Ice Age
Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
DJ Shadow - Dark Days
Roy Budd - Get Carter
Bella - Katsimbalis
A - Nothing
Iron Butterfly - In a Gadda Da Vida
Janes Addiction - Ripple (Grateful Dead cover)
SparkleHorse with Tom Yorke - Wish You Where Here


As my own comps from this era will show, I was pretty low at this time and this, certainly the last track, is a booster

1 comment:

  1. Wow . . .I had to go digging in iTunes as I couldn't remember Bella at all. Looks like it was a one off track on a Ptolemaic Terrascope cover CD . . . probably not one for the annals of music history but worth being reminded of them. I'll be interested to see what other stuff I sent your way.

    ReplyDelete